Monday, January 28, 2008

Good thing I took the class!


Looks like my studies in newborn resuscitation paid off! I assisted at a C-Section yesterday and the baby needed resuscitation. So this time, without a bitchy nurse literally pushing me out of the way, I was able to a vital part of the resuscitation team! It was crazy. The couple times I've seen it happen, it is just so fast and panicky. But yesterday the nurse and doctor were so calm, and that made me calm. I was the one timing the heart rate (46 beats per minute! Normal is 120). Meanwhile the nurse administered oxygen and the doctor suctioned and intubated him. After baby was doing better, the nurse prepared him for transport to the NICU and I got to administer oxygen. I was doing the actual "bagging" and pumping the oxygen in. I was amazingly calm, like nothing else was going on in the room. And this time, time moved so slowly. It's amazing what a little organization and calm-ness can do for a tricky situation. I'm still really pumped about it, but trying to remain "cool". I'd really like to jump around the streets screaming "I helped save a baby!"


P.S. This means everyone can now feel relief that if you go into cardiac arrest in my presence, you might not kick the bucket!

5 comments:

Nick said...

Good work Jinnie!!!! You should make an "I saved a baby!" dance video and post it on here.

Lychee said...

Yeah! You are my CNA hero!

Jinnie said...

hahaha, thanks!

honeysuckle said...

That is an awesome experience i had one similar but with puppies and it does mean everything to have calm people around you. dont know if your comfortable with it but you should tell the docotor or someone how you feel. You cant have paniced nurses it dosent help anything

Jinnie said...

Oh, how cool with puppies. Do you have emergency situations like that a lot?

I did tell my coworkers how nice it was to have them be calm. I think the whole thing went over well.

By the way, did you hear about the 10 year old vet assitant??