Wednesday, September 3, 2008

WPS is coming!

This is a blog entry from a Gael player who's attending the WPS tryouts.

Let's go...

By Jen Buczkowski

In two days, I’ll be boarding a plane for Tampa for the W-League Combine. The weather was amazing all Labor Day weekend and it has been nice to relax with family and friends, but “Let’s gooooo already….”

My name is Jen Buczkowski and I am from Chicago, IL. I graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 2007 and this past summer I played for the Chicago Gaels. Life out of college is different. It hasn’t always been easy or fun, but playing professionally has been my goal since I was little and I have committed my time to training and playing in hopes of making a team in the new WPS. I love the game, the competition, and the feeling of being a part of something….a team; that is why I want to play.

Without any classes to attend and bills to be paid, I have had to balance my time both working and training. My days have consisted of about 4 or 5 hours in the office doing marketing work for a catering company and then lots of time racing around from the gym to the field. Thankfully, I have had the opportunity to train all summer in a program called Acceleration. Having done a lot of speed and agility work throughout the years, I have never experienced anything quite like this….treadmill workouts up hill with resistance bands, weight lifting and plyometrics. On the field I have been training with a group of boys from the Chicago Sockers to prepare for a faster speed of play.

Having prepared and done the hard work, I am more excited than nervous. It is still the same game with a little round ball and I am just ready to have some fun.

Sounds nerve-wracking! Oh, I'll be going to some Red Stars games next Spring if anyone's interested!

No comments: